A/V sync of dumpfiles was Re: [MEncoder-users] Best possible quality from a DVD

Jan Paul Schmidt jps at fundament.org
Sat Jun 18 23:02:06 CEST 2005

Am 18.06.2005 um 16:20 schrieb Jonathan:

> Jan Paul Schmidt wrote:
>> If you want to dump the DVD, use mplayer:
>>     mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile tvout.mpg -chapter 3-3 dvd://1
>
> Doing this when I play back the resulting dumpfile A/V sync is pretty
> much fine through the entire file in both VLC and MPlayer.

No wonders. It's what mplayer would play if you do a

	mplayer -chapter 3-3 dvd://1

Just dumped to a file.

>> No. I suggest to dump the DVD. But as Final Cut uses Quicktime you
>> will  run into the problem, that Quicktime will only recognize the
>> video  track of the dumped MPEG data. So the best way would probably
>> be:
>>     mplayer -dumpvideo -dumpfile tvout.mpg -chapter 3-3 dvd://1
>>     mplayer -vc dummy -vo null -ao pcm:file=tvout.wav -chapter 3-3
>> dvd://1
>> This will create a file with the video data and a file with the audio
>>  data converted to a stereo WAV.
>
> When I try doing this the A/V sync is off a lot!  Actually any attempt
> to separately process the audio and video leads to A/V desync.
> Looking at the dumpfiles Mplayer plays the video back in 41:48 while
> the .wav dumpfile is 41:42.  It may be something obvious but I've been
> trying to figure it out for over a week now and have had no luck
> whatsoever.

Well, the above hack was for using dumps for Quicktime based
applications. Quicktime somehow manages to make them in sync most of
the time. If you have problems with mplayer/mencoder and seperated
audio and video tracks, that just is another story.

> I can post example files if it would help.

If you mean posting mplayer/mencoders commands and describing the
problem, this may help.

jps