A/V sync of dumpfiles was Re: [MEncoder-users] Best possible quality from a DVD

Jonathan jonathan at kc8onw.net
Sat Jun 18 16:20:52 CEST 2005

Jan Paul Schmidt wrote:

> If you want to dump the DVD, use mplayer:
>
>     mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile tvout.mpg -chapter 3-3 dvd://1

Doing this when I play back the resulting dumpfile A/V sync is pretty
much fine through the entire file in both VLC and MPlayer.

> No. I suggest to dump the DVD. But as Final Cut uses Quicktime you will
> run into the problem, that Quicktime will only recognize the video
> track of the dumped MPEG data. So the best way would probably be:
>
>     mplayer -dumpvideo -dumpfile tvout.mpg -chapter 3-3 dvd://1
>     mplayer -vc dummy -vo null -ao pcm:file=tvout.wav -chapter 3-3 dvd://1
>
> This will create a file with the video data and a file with the audio
> data converted to a stereo WAV.

When I try doing this the A/V sync is off a lot!  Actually any attempt
to separately process the audio and video leads to A/V desync.  Looking
at the dumpfiles Mplayer plays the video back in 41:48 while the .wav
dumpfile is 41:42.  It may be something obvious but I've been trying to
figure it out for over a week now and have had no luck whatsoever.

I can post example files if it would help.

Thanks for anything,
Jonathan