[MEncoder-users] Re: [MPlayer-users] Looking for a FAQ on using mencoder to create high quality mpeg files

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 17:25:38 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 6/17/05, John Dickinson <john.k.dickinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the link to the docs but I am still struggling to get a
> high-quality mpeg and rotated avi that works in older windows media
> players (v7-8).
>
> I have two principal concerns:
> 1) can it play on older dvdplayers (default standard was mpeg2 wasn't it?)
> 2) Quality of result.
>
> Currently I want to convert about ~50MB of what looks like good
> quality 30fps 640x480 motion jpeg avi movies to mpeg for the
> grandparents (no computer but they have an older dvd player).  Size is
> obviously not the issue here.  It could double and not matter.
>
> For the other relatives with the computers (mostly older - not XP)
> I'll give them the avi files direct but I do need to rotate a couple
> 90 degrees and would like to do it without much loss of quality.
>
> If I can't play the converted file on my machine using windows media
> player 8 then they are unlikely to be able to either.
>
> I have found the place for the mencoder mailing list so I will join it
> and move this question there.

I have never tried to do such a thing, but I guess you want to play
with MEncoder's MPEG muxer (-mpegopts), lavc (-lavcopts) with
vcodec=mpeg2video. You should be able to adapt the existing examples,
given for MPEG4 so that they can be used with MPEG2.

Here are some more pointer that might be usefull (I did not read them,
but they look usefull):
http://dvdauthor.sourceforge.net/
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=117709
http://qdvdauthor.sourceforge.net/guide/index.html

I hope I'm not gonna lead you to a wrong track, but I belive that
other people will correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I wish that you'll, in the end, manage to do what want. Could
you please then document what you did to generate your MPEG2 files so
that they can be played.
--
I should have invented the tape recorder,
that way people would have more quotes of