[MEncoder-users] Compiling mplayer/ffmpeg from cvs

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Jun 16 02:42:59 CEST 2005

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:13:13 +0200 (CEST)
Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer at gmx.de> wrote:

> ...and how often I should randomly change versions of gcc and how much
> versions should I have on my harddisc to be prepared for radmomly
> triggered "incompatibilities"....

One version of GCC is fine, it just has to be a stable version.  It's
not random at all, either.  There are versions of GCC known to be very
buggy and unstable, and versions known to work well.

> There is ONE application -- mplayer -- which triggeres such randomly
> bugs.

That's because mplayer is (apparently) the one application you use that
is high-performance, with SSE/MMX2/etc code.

> What's about clean code ?

We aren't talking about bad C in mplayer, or anything like that.  We are
talking about gcc over-optimizing portions of code, and similar
problems with gcc.

There's one program I know of which has far more problems with the bugs
in GCC than mplayer, and that is GCC itself.  If you compile some
versions of GCC-3x with even basic optimizations (eg -O2), the
resulting gcc binary will produce invalid binaries from perfectly valid
code.