[MEncoder-users] Compiling mplayer/ffmpeg from cvs

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jun 14 23:45:49 CEST 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 08:13:13PM +0200, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> From: Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>
> Subject: Re: [MEncoder-users] Compiling mplayer/ffmpeg from cvs
> Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:59:03 +0200
>

> > These bugs are triggered "at random" and caused by gcc not handling inline
> > assembly very well. Up to now changing the compiler version always fixed
> > it...
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Reimar Döffinger
>

> ...and how often I should randomly change versions of gcc and how much
> versions should I have on my harddisc to be prepared for radmomly
> triggered "incompatibilities"....and how much impact will this have on
> the rest of my development ?
>
> There is ONE application -- mplayer -- which triggeres such randomly
> bugs.
>
> What's about clean code ?

It has nothing to do with clean code. The problems are PURELY bugs in
gcc, which the gcc developers refuse to test before releasing (they
could at least try compiling a few apps that use inline asm before
making a release, such as MPlayer or ffmpeg), and which they sometimes
even refuse to fix (see the infamous quote in Michael's old sig).

If you insist on using buggy compilers, you're on your own. Don't
complain to us. I would recommend using 2.95.3, which has never been
known to give ICE or spilled register errors.

Rich

P.S. Many of the bugs in gcc don't only happen with inline asm. I know
I've seen spilled register before in other cases and it's purely a gcc
bug.