[MEncoder-users] Compiling mplayer/ffmpeg from cvs

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Jun 14 09:59:03 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 05:53:23AM +0200, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> cc: Internal error: Killed (program cc1)
> Please submit a full bug report.
> See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.

Bad gcc, 3.4.x and 2.95 have always worked for me. Alternatively you can
compile the failing file "by hand" and change -O4 to something else (-O2
works quite often). But please don't report bugs if you decide that way,
some compiler version have created very hard to track bugs (and before I
start another discussion, I know that MPlayers code is not completely
innocent, but why waste developer time on things that the right compiler
can solve, too?)

> This is the _current_ problem. The problem I had initially appears
> when adding "--enable-shared-pp" to both configurings.

Don't do that! Never ever! In case you really need that shared lib for
another program, compile only that and copy it by hand in you lib
directory. --enable-shared-pp is currently broken, and I'm quite happy
with that...

> I do not believe, that this bug is really due to cc, since all other
> compiles I do (which are a lot of...) run perfectly -- including
> mplayer and ffmpeg (not including the initial bug, which was the
> reason for my first mail to this list).

These bugs are triggered "at random" and caused by gcc not handling inline
assembly very well. Up to now changing the compiler version always fixed
it...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger