[MEncoder-users] Skipping frame! and duplicate frame(s)! problems

Jonathan jonathan at kc8onw.net
Sat Jun 11 05:09:56 CEST 2005

RC wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:25:40 -0400
> Jonathan <jonathan at kc8onw.net> wrote:
>

>>   While trying to encode some of my DVDs for portability purposes
>>I've run into problems with a lot of skipped and duplicated frames.
>

> I see that you've got a few duplicate frames, and skiped frames,
> but I don't see a problem.

In the areas where this happens the output is horribly
interlaced/telecined and farther into the source it starts skipping
frames every 5-10 frames and went on doing so for over 500 frames before
I killed the encode.

I just stepped through a large portion of that section and it is all
very short <20 frames telecined clips and even with vf pullup,softskip I
still see a lot of skipped frame messages.  The output does look a lot
better with the pullup filter but still not perfect, although given the
source material it does do a really good job.

> Why do you think a few skiped/duplicate frames is a problem?

I'm okay with a few, like in the very beginning, but it looks like it is
going to wind up skipping 100's of frames.  I guess I don't like the
messages because they seem like error messages, especially with the "!",
and it makes me feel like I'm losing video quality because of them.

>>As you can see below mencoder changes the framerate which leads to a
>>lot of skipped frames.  Does the framerate really need to be
>>changed?
>

> mencoder doesn't really change the framerate per-se, it's just informing
> you that the framerate of the source video has changed.

Is that hardcoded into the video stream or is it just something mencoder
figures out?

Of course I feel rather stupid for not checking the effects on the
actual playback before sending an email but I guess thats what I get for
sending mail when tired :P  I still have not checked the effects on
encoded material but thats partly a time issue, H.264 is *really* nice
but a bit slow!

Thanks for putting up with yet another mencoder n00b,
Jonathan