[MEncoder-users] DVD >> MKV with mencoder script.

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Fri Jun 3 09:53:41 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 23:48:34 +0200
"Federico 'Pain' Pistono" <fppain at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is no delay at the beginning, I could easily fix that if it
> was.

If the delay is not constant but creeps up it suggests that maybe
your fps is wrong. If your source is 29.7fps but encode and/or
playback is going at 30fps I would expect an increasing audio delay.
Are the durations of the video and audio reported as the same?

> Still, why does it work with xine?

I'm already way beyond my comfort zone so what the hell, I'll hazard
a guess:
ISTR someone once saying that xine maintains sync by adjusting the
speed of the audio whereas mplayer adjusts the speed of the video.
Maybe xine's method just works better in this case.
Or, if it is a framerate thing, maybe xine is determining the fps
correctly while mplayer is confused for some reason.

Martin