[MEncoder-users] fmp4

Alejandro Vargas alejandro.anv at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 13:07:07 CEST 2005

2005/7/21, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx>:
> It would be much better to use XVID

I like xvid because it is free, but my hardware player skips many
frames in scenes with high bitrate, then, I always need to re-encode
xvid files as divx.

>(or DX50 if you insist).

This will work with lavc or I need to compile mplayer with suppoft for
propietary divx5 codec?

>The DIVX
> fourcc means divx4 which is only a very crappy limited subset of
> mpeg4. That is to say, some players may choke on lavc files with DIVX
> as their fourcc if they use any advanced features.

1) Mainly the only thing I wanted is to continue doing what I was
doing with previous versions. In other words, I wanted mplayer to
continue doing what it was doing previously. Is correct to use forucc
for this?

2) By using DX50 will I obtain better quality without needing to use a
propietary shared object?

> IMO the best is to
> use XVID if you need compatibility with shitty settop players,

Xvid playing is too slow. In fast motion scenes the player (Airis)
drops too many frames. I'm planing to build my own player (with
mythtv) but by now, the quality of mpeg4 that I was using for years is
very good and I didn't see any file (no mather the codec) with better
quality than the generated by 3-pass mencoder with lavc and
vcodec=mpeg4

>and
> otherwise use the correct new FMP4 fourcc.

But the hardware player can't play this files...

--
Alejandro Vargas