[MEncoder-users] Re: Howto fix audio delay

James Lee jlee at thestaticvoid.org
Wed Jul 6 20:01:02 CEST 2005

The Wanderer <inverseparadox <at> comcast.net> writes:

> According to the man page, that doesn't work with negative delay values,
> meaning that while you can use it to correct for audio which is played
> too early it won't help with audio which is played too late.

I wanted to implement negative audio delays (audio advances, really) a while
back for my mencoder front end, iriverter.  I had to write an audio filter to do
it.  I modeled it heavily off of the delay filter and called it "advance".

Patch here: http://tinyurl.com/7swbu

Apply and run like:

... -af advance=500 -mc 0

Where 500 is some millisecond value up to 1000 milliseconds.  For somereason the
filter doesn't work without "-mc 0" and I don't know why.  I'd be greatful if
anyone had an idea.

I'm sure there is a better way to do it than I did, but it works!

Hope this helps,

James Lee
jlee23 at umbc.edu