[MEncoder-users] Encode a NTSC film to a PAL vcd

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat Feb 12 22:01:52 CET 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:52:41 +0100
"Roger Andreassen" <randreas69 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I missed tcmplex, I needed gcc-2.95 just for that.

I don't see why.  I've had no problem building tcmplex with gcc-3
versions (3.2.2, 3.3.4, etc).  In addition, I believe divx2svcd

> Now I discovered I'd let 'divx2vcd' run overnight instead of -svcd.

I have no idea what you're trying to say in this sentence.

> The colors seemed greyed/bleeds a little, what's the cause of that and

Good question.  I don't have that problem, and from your breif
description, it doesn't sound like anything I've seen.  Is the source
interlaced perhaps?

> what's the difference between vcd and svcd?

Video codec, bitrates, resolutions, etc.  There's plenty on the web
about them if you want specifics.

> A little snag here is that I've never used 'harddup' before, these
> avi's have always worked on my own machine. The NTSC film I'm working
> on is lent out for another week, what I'm asking is all of my avi
> grabs useless now until I grab it properly with 'harddup'?

harddup is only necessary when encoding into MPEG.  AVIs are just fine
without harddup, just make sure it's used in your mencoder
command-line when you re-encode them to VCD/SVCD.