[MEncoder-users] Broken AVI files???

peter rosztoczy rosztoczy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 04:28:01 CET 2005

Disease:
MEncoder Xvid codec trashes AVI header.

Symptom:
Xvid-MEncoder > (avi) > Windows::AviSplitter[quartz.dll] > CRASH!!!

Symptoms as perceived:
BSplayer: Unknown file format (XVID)
GSpot: Failed to connect Output pin ... ConnectDirect() failed. There
is no common media type between these pins.
Media Player Classic: The following pin(s) failed to find a connectable filter:
Avi Splitter::Stream 00
Windows Media Player: Doesn't find an approprite codec, goes online,
gives error.
MPlayer.exe(win32): Plays it seamlessly.

Reason:
When you code to Xvid with MEncoder, in 70%+ of the cases a certain
part of the avi header gets filled with memory-trash, allthough should
be filled with zeros. At least windows's AviSplit filter (quartz.dll)
gets distracted if otherwise.

Cure:
Load sick avi file into your favorite hexeditor, eg.: hexcurse and
fill region 0x00C4 - 0x00D3 with 0x00. Save it. Enjoy playing it in Windows.

The above procedure worked for me, though might not work for you.
Whatever you do, do it at your own risk. I haven't read avi header
documentation. I warned you. It just worked for me:).

Greetz,
Peter A. Rosztoczy