[MEncoder-users] VHS capturing 2 avi

M Daniel R M 4.mdr.magarzo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 00:31:54 CET 2005

El mar, 20-12-2005 a las 22:56 -0800, RC escribió:

> > > You really need to use a deinterlacer (before cropping).
> > >

> > What you maybe mean is that it isn't recommended cropping with
> > interlaced content, is it?
> > Otherwise, I do not want to deinterlace, that's not into my
> > intentions, since I'm watching those stuff in the TV.
>
> You are scaling, which is deinterlacing, anyhow.  Since you
> aren't scaling to exactly half-height, the output is going to look
> very, very bad.

The above chain seems to me very very old yet, despite it's mine
indeed.
What I just was seeking for with the crop= option was mainly to try to
get rid of the annoying bottom noise, but I know that's not any
effective solution, since I did not add then coordinates, so the
cropping action left equidistant from top 2 bottom, and left 2 right
margins (centered).

>  You're also trying to use denoise3d and pp=de on the
> video, which won't work correctly on interlaced video.

I've already ruled denoise3d and pp=de out as options to consider for
the present, this was clear for me just after get the first

> If you want to keep the interlacing, don't crop or scale vertically at
> all, add "il=d:d" at the beginning of your filters, "il=i:i" at the end
> of your filters, and add "ildct:ilme" to your lavcopts.

But if there were not cropping involved, how could I get rid of that
ugly strip that remains at the bottom? (mainly there, but there is also
a bit at the top).
I know we are aware about scaling in the DOCS, it appears several times
there, and also here; If I remember correctly, it talks somewhere about
scaling height down only a bit and as a bad solution..
il=d:d and il=i:i --> Understood. Thank you for this; Really beautiful!
Again, I'll take note of that, sure this would be useful on lots of
situations. ;-) But now, the state is that I don't own any filter to put
in the -vo chain !! :-)

> > > Using pp for encoding isn't recomended at all.
> > >

> > I take note again... Do you mean pp would be, _if used_, _after_ get
> > your desired file, and separately, in a subsequent command order?
>
> If you use it for encoding, it will waste lots of bits, and usually
> decrease the quality.  If you're playing this back on something other
> than a computer, I can understand why you'd want to use pp before
> encoding, but it may make things look worse.

OK

Thank you again.

Regards,
Daniel