[MEncoder-users] VHS capturing 2 avi

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Dec 21 07:56:09 CET 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 23:40:01 +0100
M Daniel R M <4.mdr.magarzo at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > crop=720:540,denoise3d,pp=de,scale=352:288
> >
> > You really need to use a deinterlacer (before cropping).
> >

> What you maybe mean is that it isn't recommended cropping with
> interlaced content, is it?
> Otherwise, I do not want to deinterlace, that's not into my
> intentions, since I'm watching those stuff in the TV.

You are scaling, which is deinterlacing, anyhow.  Since you
aren't scaling to exactly half-height, the output is going to look
very, very bad.  You're also trying to use denoise3d and pp=de on the
video, which won't work correctly on interlaced video.

If you want to keep the interlacing, don't crop or scale vertically at
all, add "il=d:d" at the beginning of your filters, "il=i:i" at the end
of your filters, and add "ildct:ilme" to your lavcopts.

> > Using pp for encoding isn't recomended at all.
> >

> I take note again... Do you mean pp would be, _if used_, _after_ get
> your desired file, and separately, in a subsequent command order?

If you use it for encoding, it will waste lots of bits, and usually
decrease the quality.  If you're playing this back on something other
than a computer, I can understand why you'd want to use pp before
encoding, but it may make things look worse.