[MEncoder-users] Encoding Pal DVD to AVI or SVCD for NTSC

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Fri Dec 2 22:26:48 CET 2005

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 01:01:30PM -0800, RC wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 15:26:58 -0400
> Giacomo Comes <comes at naic.edu> wrote:
>
> > What he means is that you can have a NTSC DVD player that can play a
> > PAL encoded DVD disk outputting the proper signal to a NTSC TV (the
> > quality  of the signal may be questionable, but you can see the
> > picture on the TV).
>
> I haven't yet seen *good* PAL to NTSC conversion.  Either it's seriously
> stretched vertically, or plays with a very jumpy uneven framerate. I
> can't imagine anyone watching a movie with either of those problems.

DVD player are consumer cheap hardware, you cannot expect them to perform
a hi-quality conversion. I have seen the vertical stretch you mention, although
not pleasent, the movie is still watchable.
By the way I have got recently a Philips DVP 642 and it does not stretch
vertically the image nor plays jumpy. It also plays correctly 16/9 SVCD.
Not bad for a non exprensive player.

Giacomo