[MEncoder-users] Mplayer output on main display with SSH ?

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Sun Aug 14 18:17:08 CEST 2005

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 12:44:36PM +0200, Thijs Vermeir wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Situation:
> PC1 -> mplayer ( works OK )
> PC2 -> connected to PC1 via SSH
>
> I want to start mplayer on PC1 with the ssh connection.
> When I'm start a movie over SSH there is no video on PC1, sound is ok
> on PC1.
> I get this error:
> vo: couldn't open the X11 display ()!
>
> So my question is : How can I start mplayer via ssh on PC2 to have
> all output on PC1?

This is a matter of X permission.
A user remotely connected to PC1 does not receive
automatically access to PC1 display. You have to
give (if you can) the permissions.
See man xauth, xhost and X.
And it is simpler to try with a lite application
(like xterm) and once you succeed go with mplayer.

Giacomo