[MEncoder-users] questions about encoding S-Video

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Aug 3 14:41:04 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:32:48 -0700 (PDT)
Herotodus Rexx <herodotusrexx at yahoo.com> wrote:

> However it seems like I should be able to get better
> than 320x240 resolution when encoding S-Video (the
> docs I've read seem indicate something like 400x300
> would be more appropriate) but when I've tried higher
> resolutions, the quality of the resultant MPEG AVI
> file seems to end up looking worse than the 320x240
> composite MPEG AVI file.

Capturing at 400x300 doesn't make any sense.  For the height, you have
two choices, either 240, or 480.  If you capture at 480, make sure you
deinterlace (or use an inverse telecine filter, depending on the
content).

The resolution of 320x240 is about all you can expect to get from VHS
tapes; it really doesn't matter what type of connection you use.