[MEncoder-users] questions about encoding S-Video

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Wed Aug 3 09:52:15 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:32:48 -0700 (PDT)
Herotodus Rexx <herodotusrexx at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What would be the best resolution to record S-Video at
> if one is trying to get best quality? Is 30 fps the
> right sampling rate?
>
> Any other tips about getting good quality MPEG4
> encoded AVIs from S-Video source would be appreciated.

I capture at full PAL resolution then denoise, crop off any noisy
edges and scale down to half size. This gives very good results with
VHS. I daresay with S-VHS you could scale down less for equivalent
quality. Experiment to find what satisfies you.
Framerate is 25 for PAL or 30000/1001 for NTSC.

Martin