[MEncoder-users] High quality encoding of anime

Winterbird winterbird at anime-avatar.net
Tue Apr 19 16:28:57 CEST 2005

Jean Hoderd wrote:

>>Anime is never interlaced, always telecined. If your PAL discs show
>>combing, they might have been framerate-converted from NTSC rather
>>than remastered, meaning basically they suck. Just download your
>>"backups" instead.
>>

>I used the -vf pp=lb option because without it the video appears
>"combed" in high-motion scenes.  Since this is a deinterlace filter,
>I assumed that the original video was interlaced.  (It looks fine
>after the -vf pp=lb)
>
>As for downloading it, it would be a waste of time because I have
>the originals.  I just want to back them up into DVD+R, plus convert
>them into MPEG-4 AVI files which my hardware player (a KiSS DP1000)
>can read.  And yes, on a daily basis I would rather have the backups
>lying around than the originals: do you have any idea how kids handle
>DVDs?  Scary...
>
>Any further comments on the lavc or XviD options?
>
>Cheers,
>Jean

this is what my lavc options looks like:

qns=3:cmp=2:subcmp=6:preme=2:predia=3:dia=3:last_pred=3:vmax_b_frames=1:mv0:cbp:qprd:trell:preme=2:keyint=300:v4mv:mbd=2:vqcomp=0.7

also, you should try to use vqscale (vbr) instead of vbitrate (cbr),
it's harder to estimate filesize, but it looks much better. From what
I've seen lavc gives much better quality than xvid.