[MEncoder-users] High quality encoding of anime

Jean Hoderd jhoderd at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 15:21:00 CEST 2005

> Anime is never interlaced, always telecined. If your PAL discs show
> combing, they might have been framerate-converted from NTSC rather
> than remastered, meaning basically they suck. Just download your
> "backups" instead.

I used the -vf pp=lb option because without it the video appears
"combed" in high-motion scenes.  Since this is a deinterlace filter,
I assumed that the original video was interlaced.  (It looks fine
after the -vf pp=lb)

As for downloading it, it would be a waste of time because I have
the originals.  I just want to back them up into DVD+R, plus convert
them into MPEG-4 AVI files which my hardware player (a KiSS DP1000)
can read.  And yes, on a daily basis I would rather have the backups
lying around than the originals: do you have any idea how kids handle
DVDs?  Scary...

Any further comments on the lavc or XviD options?

Cheers,
Jean