[MEncoder-users] problems with target size and xvid

Guillaume Poirier poirierg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 15:56:26 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Apr 11, 2005 3:42 PM, Alexey <com at nforum.de> wrote:
> No ideas? I have encoded more movies and they were all fine. Yesterday I
> tried the old one again and it got much to big again. Could it be that
> "max_bframes=2" somehow prevent xvid from calculating the target size
> right?
>
> Regards
>
> Alexey

I never had such problems with the same settings, so I can't really
comment on that.
But I'd advise you to use MPlayer-pre6 or CVS and XviD 1.1 -beta2
(which features a somewhat better rate controller, at least on low
bitrate encodes).
You also have to know that your encoding options are really
suboptimal. You should activate trellis quantization (Ok it doesn't
show up on -pre5 docs, although it's supported, and that's exactly why
you should upgrade)
That's the combination that I use, and it works fine.

Guillaume