[MEncoder-users] inverse telecine with 60 fps progressive video

Scott W. Larson scowl at pacifier.com
Thu Apr 7 18:28:18 CEST 2005

> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 23:53:47 -0700
> Have you tried prefixing those inverse-telecine filters with
> "softpulldown"?  It should help.

I figured that softpulldown would make it worse. The man page says this
filter is for video that's partially soft telecined with proper MPEG-2
flags. This video is not soft telecined at all. It seemed like it would
create even more duplicate progressive frames which I suspect the inverse
telecine filters aren't made to handle in the first place. Also the man
page says the filter is made to help ivtc and detc and I'm not using
either of those filters.

> I'm sure it would be helpful to the developers if you would be able to
> provide a sample of this very problematic video.

Remember that the problem is a result of the EDL cuts (or the dropouts)
breaking the 3:2 pattern, not the video itself. I think what I need to do
is extract a portion of the original that has an EDL edit that causes the
trouble, run mencoder on it with no inverse telecine filters and let the
EDL code make the troublesome edit. That should give me a 60 fps
progressive clip that should still make the inverse telecine filters go
funny when I mencoder it again. If this works, I'll post the 60 fps clip
for everyone.

In theory I could manually adjust the time of a troublesome edit to make
it cut a frame or two later. This would be a lot of work since I'd have to
verify that every cut in the EDL file works and manually fix every one
that causes trouble. It would better if the filter could figure it out
without my help.

The good news is that this is the only serious problem I've had with the
new frame-skipping EDL code. It usually gives me an absolutely seemless
video edit. The cut often whacks an audio packet but audio codecs handle
that well and it's rarely noticable.