[MEncoder-users] two pass encoding with pullup

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Apr 4 23:00:54 CEST 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 07:58:37PM +0200, Winterbird wrote:
> Hello.
> I'm happy for the usefullness of two pass encoding. However, I'm having
> difficulties understanding how to use it with IVTC filters, like pullup.
> What should the first pass look like if I use pullap to ivtc the video?
> should the pullup filter be active on both passes or just on the second?

Yes. Exact same filters must be used on both passes, _especially_ with
any filter that alters the number of frames!

> The reason I ask is because when I use the pullup filter on both passes
> I can sometimes see some ugly bit usage on moving objects and so on. I
> havn't tried yet with pullup of on the first pass, but I'm still not
> sure if that is the right thing to do...

Huh? If you're having trouble with it you should preview with mplayer
first, and possibly tweak the options to pullup or use one of the
other ivtc filters. Also make sure you're using it correctly to begin
with. In any case, this all has nothing to do with 2pass encoding.

Rich