[MEncoder-users] mencoder dedicated box

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Thu Nov 25 01:31:45 CET 2004

On Wednesday, 24 November 2004 at 22:07, kor at li.pl wrote:
> Howdy,
>
>   I would like to build a mencoder dedicated box for a friend doing a lot of
> movie compression. It's going to be a FreeBSD box using mencoder.
> I have not been using mencoder much so my question is:
> what should I put inside so that it allows (more or less) real time
> compression from
> DV to mpeg4.
>
> I'd be very grateful ifor any hints. So tell me what gear you use and what
> are the effects.
>
> I heard that some windows combine running on 1.2GHz Athlon, 256MB  need 4
> hours on average to cope with 1 hour movie. I sincerely hope that mcoder can
> do any better.

It's impossible to say, really. It all depends on the options used (read:
quality). With my Athlon 1GHz, I've been able to encode MPEG-2 movies to
MPEG-4 at speeds ranging from 20 to 1fps, depending on the encoding
options I used. If you care about quality, you'd need to use two-pass
encoding anyway, so you'd need to achieve about 50fps to encode more or
less in real time. I'd say a 2+ GHz CPU might be able to do it.

R.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://greysector.rangers.eu.org/mplayer/