[MEncoder-users] SAA7130

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Fri Dec 17 16:19:08 CET 2004

On Thursday 16 December 2004 21:26, David Miller wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have used linux for a long time but new to video.
> I have a 2200+ Athlon running Fedora Core 3
> I have a video capture card, EasyMaker that has a SAA7130
> The hardware browser says it is using Driver saa7134
> If I hook my cam corder to the card, I can watch just fine with tvtime.
> I want to be able to record the various video clips from my cam corder
> and burn to DVD.
> I started to try to use freevo and their mailing list said that it
> wasn't the right tool for what I want to do and sugested mencoder.
>
> mencoder is loaded on the system but I can't figure out how to get it to
> capture from the card.
>
> Anyone have any ideas.

Something like
Try first to get mplayer to play from the card. Something like
mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l
Check the man page for more options, might require tweaking.

After you have mplayer playing, you can start experimenting with mencoder
mencoder tv:// -tv driver=v4l:your_options_here -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavccodec=mjpeg:vqscale=2 -io capture.avi
(mjpeg being pretty fast and not too CPU intensive for realtime capture).

After that, reencode capture.avi to your favourite video codec...
You'll probably want to search gmane for nico's mpeg muxer patch
which supposedly can create streams suitable for DVD..