[MEncoder-users] high quality avi; correct syntax

ronnie escobedo tenminuteslater at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 9 20:14:19 CET 2004

greetings ,

I am new to encoding video. I however have been using Mplayer for about 2
years  now.

My problem:

I am ripping DVD video encoding it to an avi for editting in a windows
platform uisng Sony's Movie Studio.

I ran into several roadblocks because the syntax I originally started using
would create avi files that would work in any media player linux or windows
but when placed in Movie Studio for editting no audio was present.
the syntax used:
mencoder -dvd-device /dev/hda dvd://1 -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=2:vhq:v4mv:trell:autoaspect -chapter 1-1 -o 01.avi

I experimented with several different settings and finally found a solution
that works for me.
workaround:
mencoder -dvd-device /dev/hda dvd://1 -oac mp3lame -lameopts
br=256:cbr:mode=3 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=2:vhq:v4mv:trell:autoaspect -ofps 29.97 -vf
crop=692:464:14:8 -noskip -chapter 1-1 -o 01.avi

Question:
1. Is  this the best method for getting the hishest or best quality
video/audio?

My terminology is not the best and I am quickly playing catch up. An issue I
am currently experiening after encoding the avi files is that anytime there
is movement such as hand movement or walking there seems to be some type of
distortionaround the movement. This distortion only happens with movements
and other than this the video quality is great.
Can someone please explain what this is and how I may fix it?

::ronnie :: :