[MEncoder-users] Recording TV with WinTV bt878

Barton Bosch bartonbosch at SoftHome.net
Thu Dec 2 23:58:12 CET 2004

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Thursday, 02 December 2004 at 22:02, Barton Bosch wrote:
>
>>I recently added a Hauppauge WinTV GO-Plus tuner card (model #1033)
>>to my system and have been trying to record from it on RH9 and FC2.
>>
>>So far I have managed to use mplayer to watch tv with audio on my
>>FC2 installation.  However, as I later read in the FAQ, mencoder
>>does not record any audio signal.
>

> Fortunately, that FAQ entry is outdated and no longer correct.

Hmmm, now that you've cleared that up I find that I'm not 100% sure
that I tried to record from line in after I remembered to unmute it
in my mixer...

>>From the other reading that I have done I gather that it is
>>possible to record audio and video from the tv card by using the
>>btaudio driver.  Is that correct?
>

> Actually, both ways work. That is, recording from line-in and from
> btaudio, though I haven't tried it for some time now.

I'll have to give it another try on my FC2 installation with line in
unmuted.

>>I ask because it appears that I am at an impasse.  The RH 9 kernel
>>has the btaudio driver compiled but DAG's recent RPM of mplayer
>>crashes when trying to watch tv from my tuner card.
>

> Don't use DAG's RPMs, use our official packages.

Yeah, I think I noticed that you had RH/FC RPMs on your site, if all
else fails I'll dl and reinstall (56k makes you think before getting
even a 2 MB program, heh).

BTW is anyone else using this particular model/card?  Is tuner #44
the best choice?  RH's Kudzu hardware detection package doesn't
detect a tuner on installation so I was reduced to trial and error.

Thanks,

Barton