[MEncoder-users] Recording TV with WinTV bt878

Barton Bosch bartonbosch at SoftHome.net
Thu Dec 2 22:02:24 CET 2004

I recently added a Hauppauge WinTV GO-Plus tuner card (model #1033)
to my system and have been trying to record from it on RH9 and FC2.

So far I have managed to use mplayer to watch tv with audio on my
FC2 installation.  However, as I later read in the FAQ, mencoder
does not record any audio signal.

 From the other reading that I have done I gather that it is
possible to record audio and video from the tv card by using the
btaudio driver.  Is that correct?

I ask because it appears that I am at an impasse.  The RH 9 kernel
has the btaudio driver compiled but DAG's recent RPM of mplayer
crashes when trying to watch tv from my tuner card.  The FC2
installation is capable of watching tv and recording the video
signal, but it appears that it was compiled without the btaudio driver.

I haven't delved deeply into compiling my own kernels;  it doesn't
intimidate me but I would prefer to spend my time doing sound, video
and graphics if possible.  Would it be necessary to compile the
entire kernel or can I compile just the btaudio module?  Does anyone
here have tv recording working with the WinTV GO-Plus and RH9/FC2?
Are there any other factors that I am missing?

TIA,

Barton