[FFmpeg-user] Clarification for decoding AV1 input on the GPU

Xiang, Haihao haihao.xiang at intel.com
Wed Jul 20 04:41:40 EEST 2022

On Tue, 2022-07-19 at 16:54 -0500, Mario Roy wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> With the recent FFmpeg 5.1 supporting AV1 using VDPAU, should decoding AV1
> occur on the GPU automatically (NVIDIA 3000 series), similarly to decoding
> VP9?
>
> ffmpeg -y -hwaccel vdpau -i input_av1.mp4 output.ts   # decodes on the CPU

libdav1d has higher priority than the the native av1 decoder in FFmpeg, you
should specify the native av1 in your command line if you want to use vdpau.

$ ffmpeg -y -hwaccel vdpau -c:v av1 -i input_av1.mp4 output.ts

Or you may try
https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org/project/ffmpeg/patch/20210922074207.19451-2-haihao.xiang@intel.com/
 which can decode AV1 on the GPU automatically when -hwaccel xxx is specified in
the command line. (You need to rebase the patchset).

Thanks
Haihao