[FFmpeg-user] Clarification for decoding AV1 input on the GPU

Mario Roy marioeroy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 00:54:44 EEST 2022

Greetings,

With the recent FFmpeg 5.1 supporting AV1 using VDPAU, should decoding AV1
occur on the GPU automatically (NVIDIA 3000 series), similarly to decoding
VP9?

ffmpeg -y -hwaccel vdpau -i input_av1.mp4 output.ts   # decodes on the CPU
ffmpeg -y -hwaccel vdpau -i input_vp9.webm output.ts  # decodes on the GPU

 Are the following incorrect usage? Both segfaults.

ffmpeg -y -hwaccel vdpau -c:v av1_cuvid -i input_av1.mp4 output.ts   # segfaults
ffmpeg -y -hwaccel vdpau -c:v vp9_cuvid -i input_vp9.webm output.ts  # segfaults

Thanks,
Mario