[FFmpeg-user] Compiling FFmpeg with Nvidia GPU acceleration

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Fri Jan 15 23:13:06 EET 2021

On 1/15/2021 10:49 AM, madderek--- via ffmpeg-user wrote:

> I cannot get the 'make' command to work - I get  'make' is not recognized as
> an internal or external command,
>
> operable program or batch file.

Well.... install make (nvidia's instructions include that).

What's your intended build environment? VisualStudio of msys2/mingw? If
mingw, did you install the 'c' compiler?

The nvidia instructions don't cover installing a heap of things, like the
compiler and a lot of packages. (They also say "–-toolchain=msvc" even as
they're giving instructions for mingw, which is suspect (I haven't looked at
the code yet to see if it matters.)

So first, make sure you have a working build environment, that's out the
scope of this list. Then look at the instructions for building ffmpeg-

I use "Option 2: MSYS2" of
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/MinGW

If you're using visual studio, see
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/MSVC

You'll have to manually install any needed packages, usually ./configure
will tell you when something's missing.

Once you can build ffmpeg without cuda, then try building with cuda. And you
may want to follow up with nvidia if you're using their instructions.

Later,

z!