[FFmpeg-user] h.265 crf values corresponding with h.264

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Wed Dec 15 20:06:36 EET 2021

Ferdi Scholten <ferdi at sttc-nlp.nl> writes:

> On 15-12-2021 18:18, Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user wrote:
>> When looking at:
>>      https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.265
>>
>> with h.265 the value 28 should correspond with the value 23 with
>> h.264.
>> Is there a (rough) table for the other values?
>>
> Well, no not really
>
> Those figures are generic. In reality there are many things that can
> affect both quality and size.
> The kind of video used as a source, the amount of visual detail, the
> preset used or other settings all have a big impact either on size or
> quality of the encode.
>
> So what is your goal, would you want high quality, small file sizes or
> fast encoding speed? All these things you need to trade off to get to
> your optimum encoding settings. Do some trial runs with small samples to
> find out what suits your needs.

In a way all three. ;-)

But my first impression it is not worth it. (After a very short test.)
It seems that h.265 generates a marginal smaller file, with a marginal
better quality, but takes two times as much computer power.

Thus it seems that for most things I could best stick to h.264.

Does YouTube has a preference for one, or the other?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer