[FFmpeg-user] Problem with time-lapse

Edward Park kumowoon1025 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 00:14:30 EEST 2020

Hi,

> I'm trying to automate time-lapse video from still images. I have all sky
> camera that captures around 200 images / night. I've managed to do videos
> like this
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yyihZNypBy0r5y_JJiTHgtvc8N1RAZ3e/view?usp=sharing

Timelapse can be counterintuitive sometimes.

Sometimes you need to slow the framerate down, sometimes you need to raise it.

Sometimes you need less frequent captures (or a step in the middle where you approve/reject the pictures that are going to be your frames), and sometimes, you need to capture at a much higher rate.

> However what i'm looking for is for smoother video. Is it possible with
> ffmpeg?

I think this case it is a matter of not enough captures to make a good timelapse video.

> I've tried to clone every image 30 times etc but still fail to get good
> results. I've tried to search ffmpeg man pages and the web but no success.
Also, maybe interpolating/duplicating frames is actually counterproductive by giving you a less clean starting point? I think the simplest timelapse render looks pretty good, from there maybe you can minterpolate but I'm not sure if the filters before minterpolate help.

https://media.kumowoon1025.com/videos/simple-timelapse-example.mov

> I use python script to automate the whole process. so below is some option
> ive tried
>
> os.system('ffmpeg -i ' + workdir2 + '%d.jpg  -vf '
> '"tblend=average,framestep=1,setpts=0.50*PTS,minterpolate"'  + ' -r 30 -b:v
> 64K -crf 10 -an ' + destinationdir + videofile)
> os.system('ffmpeg -r 30 -i ' + workdir2 + '%d.jpg -vcodec mpeg4 -qscale 1
> -y -filter:v '" setpts=2.0*PTS"' ' + destinationdir + videofile)

This is just a general tip, I can excavate the command from that, but it would be immensely helpful if you put it into a line you can feed into a shell and also attach the output.

Regards,
Ted Park