[FFmpeg-user] Error when reading file as stream

adam smith adamsmith79 at icloud.com
Mon May 4 15:35:01 EEST 2020

Thanks Carl,
Thanks for stopping me going down a never ending rabbit hole.

> On 4 May 2020, at 13:18, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Many files, esp. some mov/mp4 files, require seeking. Seeking is impossible if you provide the input through a pipe, this is not a limitation of FFmpeg.

Good to know, makes sense and confirms the whole input as a stream being the issue and why mxf wrapped media works and some mp4.
I will have to think about how I can most efficiently resolve this.

If I mount the S3 bucket using S3FS I can read the file as normal which works, but requires the server to run S3FS and so require bespoke set up - which I am trying to avoid.

Perhaps I could write some code to localise the file if the first attempt fails with the error message…
pipe:: Invalid data found when processing input
Cannot determine format of input stream 0:0 after EOF
Error marking filters as finished.
That would work as I would be able to stream source when possible and fall back when not possible,  but it's not very elegant as requires a fail first.

If the issue is missing information from the source, is there a way I can pass information into ffmpeg at start up that I have extracted using ffprobe that would resolve the issue maybe?

> Use qtfaststart to “fix” mov files, so they don’t require seeking anymore.

Thanks, I use -flags +global_header -movflags +faststart on mp4 files I create using ffmpeg, is that the same thing?
I add for that for instant playback in browsers.
but I need to be able to accept files for transcode from third party providers so cannot guarantee they will be formatted using the faststart flag.