[FFmpeg-user] How do I increase the playback size of a video without rescaling it?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Jul 16 15:09:25 EEST 2020

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 06:55:55 -0500, fowman wrote:
> VLC and Xplayer are playing to my computer screen, and the PS/3 to my TV, so
> no, not the same.

Only the PS/3 is the issue, right?

> With the small mp4 (1280x720) playing through the PS/3, I can change the TV
> display settings with "stretch" or "best fit" etc options to make the
> picture bigger, but with the normal settings it's just a rectangle that
> doesn't fill the screen. The TV is full HD 1080p.
>
> Are you suggesting that the players may up-scale automatically under certain
> circumstances? I can see how that's possible, but if so, are these
> circumstances "standard" so that the players all behave in the same way, and
> could I know what they are so I can engineer a predictable result?

This is only an issue between your player and your screen, from all I
have read here. If their configurations don't match, you won't get a
full-screen display. This has nothing to do with any "settings" or
metadata in the video file.

Here are the PS/3 settings for upscaling, if you TV doesn't manage:
Games:
https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/gamesettings.html
DVD/BD:
https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/3_15/settings/bdsettings.html

I can't find any settings for the video player, but it should have some
as well, or one of the above might apply?

Moritz