[FFmpeg-user] Acorn Replay files

Mark Fraser mfraz74 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 17:48:27 EET 2020

On 27/02/2020 12:11, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 11:02:53 +0000, Mark Fraser wrote:
>>> Please provide a sample if your files are different than:
>>> http://samples.ffmpeg.org/game-formats/rpl/
>>
>> I've tried uploading to upload.ffmpeg.org, but I keep getting Network is
>> unreachable.
>
> Indeed, that happens once in a while. Feel free to share a Dropbox,
> Google Drive link, making sure it's shared publicly, or use a file
> sharer site of your choice.
>
>> and do I keep them in game-formats even though they are from before
>> Tomb Raider?
>
> I'm not a gamer, but I don't understand your question. What do you want
> to "keep"?
>
> Are the files different from the ones already found, or are they not?
> Them being different is enough of a justification, for now.

This is one of the files I have which was created before Edios existed:
ARMovie
Wildlife on One:  In-Flight Movie
© 1987 BBC Enterprises International
Digitised by Uniqueway Ltd
7 video format
192 pixels
144 pixels
16 bits per pixel (YUV)
25 frames per second
1 sound format
22050 Hz samples
1 channels
8 bits per sample VIDC1 µ-law
50 frames per chunk
10 number of chunks
333503 even chunk size
335359 odd chunk size
664049 catalogue offset
441 offset to sprite
110648 size of sprite
111089 offset to keys

This is a file from http://samples.ffmpeg.org/game-formats/rpl/

ARMovie
C:\Fmv\IMAGES\Escape\LandNew.rpl
Copyright (c) 1997 Eidos plc.  All rights reserved.
ESCAPE 2.0
130        video format
320        pixels
160        pixels
16         bits per pixel RGB
15.000000  frames per second
1          sound format - standard
22050      Hz samples
2          channels
16         bits per sample (LINEAR UNSIGNED)
1          frames per chunk
358        number of chunks
0          even chunk size
0          odd chunk size
4446188    offset to chunk

Taken from https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php/ARMovie
Compression types are allocated as follows:

   0-99: Acorn
         video                                     audio
         0: no video                               0: no audio
         1: 'Moving Lines' compression             1: basic audio
         2: 16bpp uncompressed                     2: 'indirect' audio
         3: 10bpp YUV chroma horiz subsampled by 2
         4: 8bpp uncompressed [pixel depth=8]
         5: 8bpp YUV chroma horiz and vert subsampled by 2
         6: 6bpp YUV chroma horiz and vert subsampled by 4
         7: 'Moving Blocks' compression
         [all but type 4 have pixel depth=16]
         8: 24bpp uncompressed
         9: 16bpp YUV chroma horiz subsampled by 2 (YYUV8)    (uses YUV)
        10: 12bpp YUV chroma horiz and vert subsampled by 2   (uses YUV)
        11: 9bpp YUV chroma horiz and vert subsampled by 4    (uses 6Y5UV)
        12: ARMovie file containing pointer to real MPEG movie
        13: MPEG video data in ARMovie file
         [all pixel depth=24]
        14: Ultimotion
        15: 'indirect' video
        16: 12bpp YUV chroma horiz and vert subsampled by 2   (uses 6Y5UV)
        17: 'Moving Blocks HQ' compression                    (uses YUV)
        18: h263                                              (uses 6Y5UV)
        19: 'Super Moving Blocks' compression                 (uses 6Y5UV)
        20: 'Moving Blocks Beta' compression                  (uses 6Y6UV)
        21: 16bpp YUV chroma horiz subsampled by 2 (YUYV8)    (uses 6Y5UV)
        22: 12bpp YY8UVd4 chroma horiz subsampled by 2        (uses 6Y5UV)
        23: 11bpp 6Y6Y5U5V chroma horiz subsampled by 2       (uses 6Y5UV)
        24: 8.25bpp 6Y5UV chroma horiz and vert subsamp by 2  (uses 6Y5UV)
        25: 6bpp YYYYd4UVd4 chroma horiz and vert subsamp by 2(uses 6Y6UV)

100-199: EIDOS

200-299: Irlam instruments

300-399: Wild Vision

400-499: Aspex Software

500-599: Iota

600-699: Warm Silence Software

800-899: Small Users of compression numbers
         Allocated by Sophie Wilson (SWilson at nc.acorn.co.uk)
         800-809: Henrik Bjerregaard Pedersen

900-999: Innovative Media Solutions