[FFmpeg-user] How to properly escape a literal comma ", " in drawtext filter text?

Steven Kan steven at kan.org
Tue Dec 29 07:55:21 EET 2020

> On Dec 28, 2020, at 9:33 PM, Carl Zwanzig <cpz at tuunq.com> wrote:
>
> On 12/28/2020 5:44 PM, Carl Zwanzig wrote:
>> (If I have a chance later tonight, I might look into the filter's source code.)
>
> I took an admittedly quick look at vf_drawtext.c and the helper routines. It looks like the only string quoting needed would be for '\' and '%', so not for a comma. I did not dive further into character processing. It does look like there's a substitution made for characters that can't be found in the font so it could be that the font is faulty or that the comma isn't really a comma (see prev. email).

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the research. I think the culprit is the font 🤦‍♂️ (If that last glyph doesn’t render properly in the mailing list, it’s a facepalm)

I switched from Keyboard.ttf to Helvetica.ttc, and now the commas render properly.

So sorry to everyone for the colossal waste of time and bandwidth. I’ll post the final results of my experiment tomorrow as atonement.