[FFmpeg-user] Loading shared libraries in macOS

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 11:17:59 EEST 2020

> Am 12.08.2020 um 09:14 schrieb Aleksid <beautyofnorth at gmail.com>:
>
> Why is ffmpeg looking for shared libraries in a folder where I compiled
> FFmpeg sources on macOS Catalina?
>
> Source code of FFmpeg is located in /usr/local/Cellar/ffmpeg
>
> ./configure --enable-shared --extra-cflags="-fno-stack-check" --enable-gpl
> --enable-version3 --enable-pthreads --enable-nonfree

The last two options only have disadvantages for you, no advantages.

Why are you not using the --prefix option?

> make
>
> Then I put all compiled shared libraries and small ffmpeg binary file to a
> folder:  /Users/aleks/test/

How do you “put” them there?

I always use static libraries because I want to “put” my binaries where I decide to put them at any time. If you choose to use dynamic FFmpeg libraries, you lose this freedom. I don’t think this is related to FFmpeg in any way.