[FFmpeg-user] Failed to open codec in avformat_find_stream_info

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 07:19:22 EEST 2020

On 03/31/2020 10:49 PM, Ted Park wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> C:\CMD & tiny apps\ffmpeg>ffmpeg -i B:\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts -vf "telecine=pattern=5555,bwdif=mode=send_frame" -avoid_negative_ts 1 -analyzeduration 80000000 -probesize 80000000 -c:v libx265 -crf 20 -preset medium -c:a copy -c:s copy C:\AVOut\8.MKV >
> Not sure how this translates windows’ model of devices and how aacs is handled, but here is the man page section on libbluray which is implemented as a protocol.
>
> bluray
>         Read BluRay playlist.
>
>         The accepted options are:
>
>         angle
>             BluRay angle >
>         chapter
>             Start chapter (1...N)
>
>         playlist
>             Playlist to read (BDMV/PLAYLIST/?????.mpls)
>
>         Examples:
>
>         Read longest playlist from BluRay mounted to /mnt/bluray:
>
>                 bluray:/mnt/bluray
>
>         Read angle 2 of playlist 4 from BluRay mounted to /mnt/bluray, start from chapter 2:
>
>                 -playlist 4 -angle 2 -chapter 2 bluray:/mnt/bluray

I must confess that I don't know what that's about.

On 03/31/2020 10:52 PM, Ted Park wrote:
> Mail acting weird as always :| If anyone could suggest a good (less randomly behaving) alternative to the default mail app on Mac I’d be much obliged.
>
> Anyway I was typing that I’m pretty sure 50M is the default for probesize so starting way down at 5M probably didn’t help.
>
> Regards,
> Ted Park

Per https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html#Format-Options,

"probesize integer (input)
Set probing size in bytes, i.e. the size of the data to analyze to get stream information. A higher
value will enable detecting more information in case it is dispersed into the stream, but will
increase latency. Must be an integer not lesser than 32. It is 5000000 by default."

That's why I started at 5 MB, then 10 MB, then 20 MB, etc.

I wrote in my thread starter that 'I suspect that the actual problem is "Failed to open codec in
avformat_find_stream_info".'

[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] Failed to open codec in avformat_find_stream_info
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 9 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 10 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 11 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 12 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 13 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 14 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 15 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 16 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 17 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 18 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 19 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 20 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 21 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 22 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 23 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 24 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 25 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] start time for stream 26 is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] Could not find codec parameters for stream 9 (Subtitle:
hdmv_pgs_subtitle (pgssub) ([144][0][0][0] / 0x0090)): unspecified size
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] Could not find codec parameters for stream 10 (Subtitle:
[mpegts @ 000001bd325bb440] Could not find codec parameters for stream 11 (Subtitle:
hdmv_pgs_subtitle (pgssub) ([144][0][0][0] / 0x0090)): unspecified size
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options
...continues...

Perhaps I should also mention that the video has no dialog, and hence no subtitles, for the first 20
minutes -- (I won't mention the video's name, but I will say the line "Sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I
can't do that" is central to the plot). I don't know whether the extreme delay to first subtitles is
related to "Failed to open codec in avformat_find_stream_info". I suspect not, but I really don't
know because I don't know what the "Failed..." message is trying to tell me.