[FFmpeg-user] Use ffmpeg to delay webcam feed with dshow displayed locally

Ted Park kumowoon1025 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 18:45:51 EET 2019

> I'm curious though, what happens function / command wise when you hit the pause key because this ends up producing the results I'm looking for.  When you hit the pause key and then 10 seconds un-pause it, you end up with a live stream which is 10 seconds delayed.
I don’t know, but it isn’t ffmpeg that does this. It must be the sdl library.

> I guess what you are saying is there is not a good way to replicate that using the filters or other options?
It’s something I would have used ffserver for, now I don’t think there’s a way without writing to an intermediate streaming format.

> Ok, I will try to get this delay with a file, or something like that.
And it doesn’t have to be a regular file, it shouldn’t be if you don’t want a full recording. You could pipe a stream to another FFmpeg, write to a fifo, unix socket, something that functions as a circular buffer.