[FFmpeg-user] What is option -level ?

Jonathan Isom jeisom at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 15:19:24 EET 2019

From: Ulf Zibis <ulf.zibis at gmx.de> <ulf.zibis at gmx.de>
Reply: FFmpeg user questions <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org>
<ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org>
Date: February 13, 2019 at 4:23:43 PM
To: ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org>
Subject:  Re: [FFmpeg-user] What is option -level ?

> Am 13.02.19 um 20:23 schrieb Lou Logan:
>
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.264
>
> Thanks, I know this page.
>
> If I need 2 passes I should know about the correct syntax, "-flags pass1"
> or
> "-pass 1".
>
> "-pass 1" for the first pass, then "-pass 2" for the second pass.
>

> I was just wondering, that option "-pass" is not mentioned here:
> https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html#toc-Codec-Options
> So I understand that it is an alternative to the "-flags pass1" syntax.

Hi

I was thinking part of the reason for confusion is the understanding of how
command arguments work. I didn’t include all from earlier in the thread,
but here are some. Most arguments are preceded ‘-‘.  ‘-vf’ then its
options, the string including crop till it reaches the space after. Each
option is separated by spaces. So ‘-pass’ further down is not an option of
‘-flag8s’. Some arguments don’t have options, but most of the ones you are
looking at do.  There are a dreadful amount of arguments in those commands.
The scale ‘-s’ and its option ‘$WIDTHxHEIGHT’. ‘-flags’ has options but
‘-pass’ is not part of it. Just the ‘+loop+mv4’ part. I don’t know if
K3copy uses the bash shell to run the ffmpeg, but I suspect it does. If you
set all the environment variables(starts with ‘$’ like $WIDTH) in bash or
put in in a shell script, you can trial and error the ffmpeg command line.

-b $VIDBRk

-s $WIDTHx$HEIGHT

-vf crop=$WIDTH-$CROPRIGHT-$CROPLEFT:$HEIGHT-$CROPTOP-$CROPBOTTOM:$CROPLEFT:$CROPTOP

-aspect $ASPECT

-codec:v libx264

-level 30

-flags +loop+mv4