[FFmpeg-user] Problems playing mjpeg stream at different bitrates

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 15:16:45 EEST 2018

>> I tested the two streams you provided with vlc 3.0.4 and both
>> behave exactly as with FFmpeg (which is generally expected).
>> Did you test another version?
>
> But one of the files is working with FFplay, right?

"Working" is not a strictly defined term I guess, but
one video (the one with "notPlaying" in the title) plays
with glitches, yes.
I did not verify if the glitches are the encoder's fault
(as I suspect) or if there is a bug in FFmpeg.

> We tested with VLC 2.2.6.

Which behaves exactly like FFplay here.

>> More important though:
>> But you did not comment on the main point of my reply: Why do
>> you want to add a (possibly difficult) work-around for a  broken
>> encoder: Don't you control the encoder as well? Can't you fix it?
>
> So the problem with the COM marker is about the encoder. Are
> you sure it's an encoder problem, on both streams?

(The issue only exists for one stream.)
Feel free to check if the size of the COM tags is correct or wrong
by several magnitudes.

> Why then does one play and the other not at FFplay?

The playing file does not contain COM tags;-)

> We can't change the encoder.

Which encoder are you using?
The main question here being: How can we detect the broken
encoder?