[FFmpeg-user] Question about rendering and photo dimensions.

Hwaen Ch'uqi hwaenchuqi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 04:41:46 EET 2018

Greetings All,

I am a newbie to ffmpeg and am quite impressed at the program's
capabilities. For the moment, I am simply combining an audio file with
a single still image to create an mp4 file. I am using this command:

ffmpeg -loop 1 -i FILE.jpg -i FILE.mp3 -c:v libx264 -c:a aac -strict
experimental -b:a 192k -shortest FILE.mp4

>From what I can tell, it appears that picture files with smaller
dimensions - 2960x2640, for example - render quite easily, whereas
something like 4910x6054 causes the rendering to slow tremendously,
even to the point of hanging/crashing my computer! Has this something
to do with libx264 presets? What can I do to anticipate which picture
files will have this undesired effect? Are there flags that I can call
to help with these sizes? Any help would be appreciated!

Hwaen Ch'uqi