[FFmpeg-user] Colour metadata not preserved when re-encoding ProRes/mov to FFV1/mkv

Kieran O Leary kieran.o.leary at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 16:02:09 EEST 2018

Hi Tobias,

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 1:21 PM, Tobias Rapp <t.rapp at noa-archive.com> wrote:
> On 25.07.2018 10:04, Peter B. wrote:
>>
>> Hi Reto,
>>
>> On 24/07/18 21:47, Reto Kromer wrote:
>>>
>>> We do rewrap ProRes into Matroska. Which is the reason for transcoding
>>> it to FFV1?
>>

>> ...I guess the usual "way out" of proprietary formats?
>> As well as format normalization (to have less mixed codecs).
>

> I agree that format normalization towards a loss-less codec ensures that
> content will be accessible now and in the future in a more reliable way.
> Keeping multiple codecs requires maintenance workload for multiple decoders.
>
> Back to the original topic of preserving color metadata: I also stumbled
> over this issue and if I remember correctly there have been multiple
> attempts to fix this but unfortunately none of them got enough attraction /
> guidance to be accepted into the FFmpeg code-base.
>
> For example:
> https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2018-February/225512.html
> https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2018-May/230139.html

Thanks so much for your feedback. That patch completely passed me by
at the time. I might try to apply, test it out and reply to that
thread in the hope that it will generate some momentum.

> Luckily in my workflows I have all the properties in some "media format"
> parameter-set besides the media file so I just manually add the right flags
> on the encoder side instead of depending on them being forwarded correctly.

I think that this is what we might do in the short term. Determine the
key metadata within the source file and stipulate the values when
necessary in the destination file.

Best,

Kieran.