[FFmpeg-user] Colour metadata not preserved when re-encoding ProRes/mov to FFV1/mkv

Reto Kromer lists at reto.ch
Wed Jul 25 11:19:04 EEST 2018

Peter B. wrote:

>On 24/07/18 21:47, Reto Kromer wrote:
>>We do rewrap ProRes into Matroska. Which is the reason for
>>transcoding it to FFV1?
>
>...I guess the usual "way out" of proprietary formats?
>As well as format normalization (to have less mixed codecs).

The problem I see in transcoding is that it would "multiply" the
ProRes proprietary compression with the open source FFV1
compression. And I personally don't like this.

>PS: @Reto: I guess you preserve the FFmpeg ProRes-Decoder
>sourcecode along with it.

Yep. I do advise the students to do so... since 2002. (To be
honest, in the situation we are discussing I add the other
relevant documents as well.)

Best regards, Reto