[FFmpeg-user] V_QUICKTIME used as codec ID for DPX/TIFF rewrapped to Matroska

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 19:45:41 EET 2018

> On Sat, 8 Dec 2018, 12:48 Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com wrote:

>> > So I guess that TIFF, and DPX need to be mapped in the Matroska
>> > specification?
>>
>> Not sure if I am the right person to answer but why would you want to
>> put images into another container?
>>
>> Shouldn't you keep the original image files and use ffmpeg to produce
>> a view copy in the requested quality?
>
> Image sequences are difficult to deal with,especially with LTO tape
> libraries. Archives commonly use zip in either a compressed or
> uncompressed form to alleviate this issue.

How does this contradict what I write above?
Assuming a current high-quality, widely adopted video codec for the
view copy would be obsolete after a decade (that's too soon, no?),
that would mean one necessary access to the file system every ten
years: Is that too difficult to deal with?

> It's preferable to have an uncompressed or lossless single
> file for ease of use

I don't think so...
(But fortunately, it is your decision!)