[FFmpeg-user] V_QUICKTIME used as codec ID for DPX/TIFF rewrapped to Matroska

Kieran O Leary kieran.o.leary at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 15:05:46 EET 2018

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018, 12:48 Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com wrote:

> > So I guess that TIFF, and DPX need to be mapped in the Matroska
> > specification?
>
> Not sure if I am the right person to answer but why would you want to
> put images into another container?
>
> Shouldn't you keep the original image files and use ffmpeg to produce
> a view copy in the requested quality?

Image sequences are difficult to deal with,especially with LTO tape
libraries. Archives commonly use zip in either a compressed or uncompressed
form to alleviate this issue.
It's preferable to have an uncompressed or lossless single file for ease of
use, compatibility with tape libraries and digital asset management systems.
I would prefer to retain the original image sequence but it is not common
practise I'm archives from what I understand,for the reasons outlined above.