[FFmpeg-user] Slight blur on converted video

Erik Dobberkau erik.dobberkau at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 16:08:11 EET 2017

> W dniu 2017-03-24 o 12:04, Dave pisze:
>
>> To answer your suggestions Chronek:
>>
>> I tried encoding with your suggested command line it was still pretty
>> much the same.
>>
>> 1) I downloaded a fresh copy of ffmpeg and compiled it and still had the
>> same results
>> 2) I am not really in a position to comment on
>> 3) I assure you AME is using the same settings
>> 4) Might be a possibility, I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to this.
>> Below is the metadata for the original clip in case anything is lost in the
>> cut down version.
>>
>> The cut down version of the clip was created with QuickTime and you can
>> download it here:
>>
>> http://www.bit.st/screenshots/in.mp
>> <http://www.bit.st/screenshots/in.mp4>

I got a decent result with one of the latest zeranoe builds:

ffmpeg -i in.mp4 -c:v prores_ks -profile:v 1 -flags +ilme+ildct -top 1 -vf
scale=interl=1 -sws_flags +full_chroma_inp+full_chroma_int -c:a pcm_s16le
-ar 48000 -ac 2  dave_proresLT.mov

Setting sws_flags just makes a minimal difference. Vendor and vtag don't
make any difference at all, except the writing library metadate. Pix_fmt is
set automatically.

The standard prores encoder is even blurrier than prores_ks, but it's twice
as fast on my machine. What's interesting, DNxHD remains just as sharp when
using the intermediate bitrate (115/120/145M, 8bpc), in comparison -- so 2
more bpc doesn't automatically give you a "better" result.

Erik