[FFmpeg-user] Poor quality output when converting avi to mp4

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Jul 25 01:57:29 EEST 2017

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 16:07:00 -0600, Ute Willmore wrote:
> confirm a bug. VLC allows you to use ffmpeg to convert a video from the
> command line and I want to see what the output looks like before I report a
> bug.

Actually, vlc (or the command line version cvlc) has its own "engine"
for conversion of videos. It does make use of libavformat/libavcodec, I
believe, but not exclusively. So vlc could be used to convert, instead
of ffmpeg, or at least to remux for ffmpeg's use.

I personally have a lot of trouble wrapping my head around vlc's
command line syntax though, I'm hardly of any help. (One of many guides
is here: https://wiki.videolan.org/Transcode/)

Moritz