[FFmpeg-user] Does ffmpeg have options to increase speed of ffmpeg scaling command?

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Tue Jul 5 19:40:46 CEST 2016

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016, at 02:10 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Did you test different swscale options?

To elaborate, you can try various scaling algorithms using the "flags"
option in the scale filter.

https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-scaler.html#sws_005fflags
https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#scale

Alternatively, you can try the zscale filter. I haven't yet compared its
speed to scale however. You will need z.lib and re-compile ffmpeg with
--enable-libzimg to support this filter.

https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#zscale

How do you know scaling is the culprit? Why are you re-encoding in the
first place?

I wouldn't use mpeg4. libx264 will provide a better quality per bit.
Ensure that your linked x264 isn't ancient.

Finally, you're encoding with an ARM processor on a phone. I'm not an
ARM expert, but I wouldn't expect much.